Sunday, August 26, 2012

half marathon training: week 2

Highlights from my trip to California:


Mini bundt cakes from Nothing Bundt Cakes in Sunnyvale. So cute! (Thank you Christine!)

Backyard tomato harvesting (I am so good at it!)

Remember Philz? I blogged about it here back in February. There are two locations in Palo Alto. Still the best coffee I've ever had.

A long run through downtown Saratoga

Speaking of runs, I completed Week 1 of training! You can check my progress by clicking on the "half marathon training plan" tab at the top of the page or here

Week 1 went great. I completed all 5 scheduled runs and felt a lot stronger by the end of the week. Honestly, I think sucking so much at Falmouth was a real wake up call for me. I have to train for long races and stick with my training plan. I can't just show up the day of the race and expect things to go well.

This past Friday, I went on a 5.2 mile long run, which turned out to be really interesting. The first mile is normally fairly easy for me. Its between miles 1 and 3 where I really struggle - I get tired, I get out of breath, I get thirsty, and all I want to to do is walk. Friday was no different. However, after 3 miles, running suddenly became easy again. So strange. I was originally only going to do 4 miles, but I was having so much fun that I tacked on an extra one! Hurray! I hope it's like this every time.

Now moving on to Week 2...

Half Marathon Training Plan: Week 2 (Aug 27 - Sept 2)
Monday (8/27): rest day!
Tuesday: 30 min easy run
Wednesday: rest day!
Thursday: On a hilly course, run at low intensity for 30 mins
Friday: rest day!
Saturday: 1 hr 15 min run. End with 4x100m strides (long run)
Sunday: 20 min easy run or cross train

No comments:

Post a Comment